Triangle Youth Brass Band and Ensemble Auditions
November 5 and 6, 2012
Auditions for the 2012-13 Season are complete. Thank you to all the auditioned
View the audition schedule here.
Openings: We are looking for the highest caliber musicians on trumpets, horns, trombones, euphoniums, tubas and percussion. There are two bands, placement being determined by audition.
Eligibility: Students must be in the 8th-12th grades, be accomplished on their instruments, and be enrolled in their school band program. A commitment to the dates on the schedule is also necessary. If you have conflicts with anything on the schedule, contact the Auditions Coordinator or Director to see if it will prevent participation.
Current members: Members of the 2011-12 season of the TYBB and TYBE are automatically invited to audition for the 2012-13 bands. The auditions are competitive and placement in the band is not guaranteed. Make sure you are prepared for the audition. It is important that the band only accept the highest caliber of musician available from year to year. Schedule an audition with the Auditions Coordinator.
New Members: Students interested in auditioning to become new members in the Youth Band must have a written recommendation sent to Jesse Rackley (Auditions Coordinator) at TYBE@trianglebrass.org before you are invited to audition. Recommendations can be from your band director or private lessons instructor; auditions are by invitation only. Invitations will be made after a recommendation is received. E-mails are OK for the recommendation, but they should include information about musical ability, responsibility, and character.
The Bands: The Triangle Youth Brass Band (TYBB) will rehearse Monday evenings from 6:30-8:45 PM in the Band Room at Cary Academy.
The Triangle Youth Brass Ensemble (TYBE) will rehearse Monday evenings from 6:30-8:45 PM in the Band Room at Salem MS.
Audition material: Players are required to play the prepared solo (from website) for their instrument plus sight-reading. There are three distinct sections to the solo. All players interested in consideration for TYBB must play all three sections. If you wish to audition for TYBE only, you may play the first two sections only. However, it is recommended that you attempt the third section as well.
Percussion: Percussionists should work up a one-minute solo on each of the following: Snare drum, Timpani, and Mallets (marimba or xylophone). Demonstrate the most advance playing possible. The audition location will have instruments; you will need to bring your own mallets. Percussionist must audition on Monday November 5 only, at Cary Academy.
Audition Location: Auditions on Tuesday, November 6th (10:00 – 6:00) will be held at the Cary School of Music in Downtown Cary. This is a Teacher work day for WCPSS. Auditions on Monday November 5th (6:30 – 9:00) are at Cary Academy, in the band room, and priority will be given to percussion auditions on Monday.
- After you have sent in your recommendation, the Director will invite you to audition. Auditions will be scheduled on a first come, first serve basis. The schedule is posted here.
- Your time commitment on the day of your audition will be no more than 30 minutes. You will schedule your audition in a time block. There will be 10 people in an hour block. The earlier you schedule, the closest to the front of the hour you will be. We will listen to 10 auditions an hour. Example: You are the third person signed up for the 4:00 hour block. You can expect to play your audition at around 4:10. You will want to leave enough time before you play to warm up. When you finish, you can leave. Be early so that we can keep moving.
- When you arrive, check in with the audition coordinator, and fill out the audition form. Warm up in the designated room, and be ready for the coordinator to call you just before your time.
- In the audition room: Give the judges your audition form. Play your prepared selections, then the sight-reading. No scales. You do NOT need extra copies of the solo for the judges. You must play straight through the sight-reading selection without stopping.
- Notification of placement into the Youth bands will be by e-mail, so please make sure you print that info clearly on the form.
**Please do not contact Salem MS, Cary Academy or Cary School of Music for any reason regarding brass band auditions. They have no information regarding our activities.**
All questions should be sent to: Jesse Rackley (Auditions Coordinator ) – TYBE@trianglebrass.org